The Genieve Shelter owns a 4-unit apartment complex. Each apartment has 2 bedrooms, a large family room, an eat-in kitchen, and a handicap accessible bathroom. The shelter also features a large community center. The complex is monitored by a 24 hour video surveillance and security system for the safety of the residents. Victims and their children may reside in the emergency shelter for up to 30 days.
TEXT-TO-911 NOW AVAILABLE FOR RESIDENTS OF SUFFOLK
How to text 911:
- On your mobile device, enter the numbers "911" in the "To" or "Recipient" field of a new text message...
- The first text to 911 should be short and include the location of the emergency, and ask for the police, fire, or ambulance...
- Press the "Send" button
- Answer questions and follow instructions from the 911 call taker
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE HAND SIGNAL NOW BEING USED DURING COVID-19
How to use hand signal:
- Click on this link to see more: LINK
- When virtually talking with a friend, social worker, case manager, doctor, etc. you can use the signal to non-verbally ask for help
- The person seeing the symbol should then ask you yes or no questions to get you the best help you need (Ex. Would you like me to call 911? Do you need me to call a shelter and look into services for you?)